National visa are issued for long-term stays for a particular purpose (e.g. for studying, family reunion, working). Usually issued for 90 days, such visa may be issued for up to a year in certain cases. After entering Germany, visa holders must apply for a residence permit.
The visa section of the German Embassy in Kabul remains closed until further notice. As a result it is not possible to submit visa applications in Kabul. Applications for national visa may now be submitted in Islamabad or New Delhi.
Preparing your application
You should start preparing your application as soon as you have plans to stay long term in Germany. The entire visa application process can take several months.
Please prepare your application as follows:
- Please fill out and print the visa application form and bring a copy of it to your appointment.
Application form for a national visa
- Please compile the documents you need to submit with your application. If documents or supporting documents are missing, your application may be rejected. We have prepared a checklist for each type of visa.
Visa information - Family Reunion / Marriage in Germany
Visa Information - Family Reunion of Children to Parents in Germany
Visa information - Family Reunion to other family members
Visa Information - Family Reunion to an unaccompanied minor refugee living in Germany
Visa Information - language course / studying in Germany
Questionnaire - Examination of Documents
- Please make an appointment to submit your application. You can register for an appointment for new applications for family reunification, student visas etc. here: Registration for an appointment
- As of 1 August 2018, close family members (spouses, unmarried minor children and parents of minor children) of a person eligible for subsidiary protection in Germany will be able to apply for a visa for the purpose of family reunion. Eligible family members may already use the following link to register for an appointment to submit their visa application: Registration for family members of persons eligible for subsidiary protection
- Timely notification to family reunification with a family member who is entitled to asylum or has been recognised as a refugee can be submitted to the Website
Please do not send any documents to the visa section unless you were requested to do so, particularly not before you have applied for a visa. We are not able to store such documents and will not know to which application they belong. Please always bring the complete documentation with you to your appointment.
Submitting your application
In order to submit your application, please attend your appointment at the Embassy in person. Please hand in your complete documentation and pay the fee. The Embassy, Consulate General or Consulate will ask you questions about your planned trip and take your photograph and fingerprints.
What happens during processing?
The Embassy, Consulate General or Consulate will review your application and make a decision on whether or not to grant you a visa. To this end, it will check whether your application meets the legal requirements. Depending on the purpose of your trip, it can take up to six months to check your application. The Embassy, Consulate General or Consulate will contact you as soon as it has made a decision on your application. We hope you will understand that we are not able to answer any questions on the status of your application during this processing period. After that, enquiries are only answered if they are made by the applicant, his/her legal representative or another person authorised in writing by the applicant.
Return of your passport
As soon as the Embassy, Consulate General or Consulate has reached a decision on your application, you will be contacted with Information how to collect your passport. You should collect your passport in person. If you are not able to collect it yourself, you can authorise another person to do so for you. In order to do so, please fill out the following power of attorney:
Power of attorney
Power of attorney (children)
There are various reasons why your visa application may be rejected. The reasons will be stated in the letter notifying you that your application has been rejected.
You are welcome to submit a new application at any time with complete, informative and verifiable documentation.
Have a good trip! Information for visa holders
If all the information on your visa label is correct, you are free to travel. Please check the information on the label as soon as your passport is returned to you. You should let us know immediately if there are any mistakes so that we can issue you a new visa.
Your visa will state your full name and passport number and include your photo. It will also state the number of days you can stay and the period of validity, that is, the time by which you must have received your residence permit for Germany.
Therefore, please do not forget to register at the residents registration office shortly after you arrive in Germany and to make an appointment with the foreigners authority. Your entry visa will allow you to travel within the Schengen area.